As a criminal defense attorney in Riverside, Ashley Daniel, Esq. has helped people with a number of different criminal offenses and DUI cases. The former deputy district attorney has an intimate knowledge of legal matters, which allows him to help those in need of a knowledgeable, experienced, and reputable criminal attorney.
If you have just been accused of committing a crime, the experienced Riverside criminal defense attorneys at the Law Office of Ashley Daniel understand that you are going through a difficult time. While one may hope that the facts and evidence in a case should be enough to get justice, it is also important to have an experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side who will help protect your rights every step of the way and make sure your voice is heard.
The Consequences of a Criminal Conviction Can Be Dire
The consequences of a criminal conviction in Riverside County can be dire and could follow you for the rest of your life. Whether you are facing a misdemeanor or felony charge, or if your case is in the investigation stage, it is crucial that you reach out to a knowledgeable criminal defense lawyer who can start working on building a solid defense and help you achieve a positive outcome.
Charged with a Crime? What Next?
If you have been charged with a crime such as drunk driving, drug possession or sexual assault, you probably have a number of questions. The most important question you are probably asking yourself is whether you will face jail or prison time. At this time, the most important steps you can take are the ones that could potentially enhance your chances of achieving a more favorable outcome in your case.
Here are some of the steps you should take in the aftermath of your arrest or soon after you have been charged with a crime:
- Remember that you have the right to remain silent. Resist the temptation to speak to the authorities or disclose any details of specifics. Don’t try to offer excuses or explanations. Trying to talk your way out could end up proving detrimental to your case. The best step you can take in such stressful situations is to remain calm, provide basic information to the police, be polite to the authorities and ask to speak to a criminal defense attorney.
- It is a fact that anything you say in such situations can and will be used against you. Stay away from discussing the details of your case with anyone including your close friends and family members. Discuss your case only with your criminal defense attorney. Anything you tell your attorney is protected by the attorney-client privilege under the law.
- Stay away from social media until your case is resolved. Do not post anything, not to mention details about your case, on social media or anywhere online. When it comes to online sites, privacy is a myth. If prosecutors or law enforcement want to see what’s on your Facebook or Twitter, they will find a way to get to it. Online posts, including photos and videos, can be used against you in court.
- Keep a careful record of any evidence that might help your case such as contact information for individuals who might serve as your alibi or those who can serve as character witnesses.
- Do not give recorded statements without your attorney’s guidance and counsel. Be honest and cooperative with your lawyer. Clear communication and cooperation between you and your attorney will help create the foundation for a successful defense and positive case outcome.
- The best time to contact a Riverside criminal defense lawyer is – right away. Schedule an initial consultation immediately. At the Law Office of Ashley Daniel, we offer free consultations.
Types of Cases We Handle
At the Law Office of Ashley Daniel, our Riverside criminal defense attorneys are adept at defending criminal charges – be it misdemeanors or felonies. In a criminal case, it is important to remember that the burden of proof is on the prosecution. This essentially means that it is the prosecution’s job to prove that you committed the crime.
The law says that you are innocent until proven guilty. Sadly, that’s not how the media and community view individuals who are charged with crimes. A number of high-profile cases, particularly homicide and sexual assault cases, are tried in community forums and often, in the media. Our attorneys will help protect your rights throughout the process.
Here are some of the types of cases our firm handles:
Driving under the influence (DUI):A DUI conviction has serious consequences in Riverside County ranging from losing your driver’s license to jail time, fines and court fees. In addition to direct consequences, you may also face other repercussions such as job loss and auto insurance rate hikes.
Drug crimes: Drug crime charges in Riverside County, whether you are facing a drug possession charge or selling or transporting drugs, can result in dire consequences. Depending on the severity and seriousness of the circumstances, drug crime convictions could result in lengthy incarceration, hefty crimes and enrollment in a drug treatment program.
White-collar crimes: These could be charged as state or federal crimes. Regardless, a conviction could lead to job loss, jail time and hefty fines. Examples of white-collar crime charges include bribery, burglary, credit card fraud and embezzlement to healthcare fraud, identify theft, forgery, Internet fraud and mail fraud.
Sex crimes: These types of crimes are often charged as felonies and have serious consequences ranging from prison time to registering as a sex offender. Some examples of sex crime cases we take on include rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, child sex abuse, indecent exposure and possession of child pornography.
Murder: Defendants in murder cases who are convicted could be looking at the death penalty or life in prison with or without the possibility of parole. An experienced Riverside criminal defense lawyer might be able to help you fight the charge and increase your chances of getting acquitted.
Domestic violence: Under California law, it is a crime to harm or threaten to harm a spouse, cohabitant, intimate partner or other members of the household such as children. Common criminal charges in domestic violence cases include domestic battery and inflicting corporal injury on an intimate partner. The consequences of these charges could be severe including jail time, probation and loss of child custody.
Parole violations: Parole is a conditional release from prison before your term has been completed. While you serve your time outside of confinement when on parole, you are still bound by certain terms and conditions. If you violate those conditions, you may end up back in prison. Our defense lawyers can help fight for your rights and keep you out of jail.
Contacting a Riverside Criminal Defense Attorney
If you have been arrested on suspicion of committing a crime or if you are under investigation, the experienced Riverside criminal defense attorneys at Law Office of Ashley Daniel can help fight for your rights and formulate a strong defense. Call us for a free consultation and comprehensive case evaluation.